Posted on 12/15/22 by nick
Jacob Mephisto’s Dark Horse Ribs Recipe
Jacob Mephisto’s Dark Horse Ribs
By Jacob Mephisto
December 15th, 2022
These ribs are my go to when I have spare cuts left over from a fresh carcass. Many people like to throw away the ribs, but I say why waste this prime cut of meat when you can roast it low and slow to perfection? Anyone brave enough to take a bite will be left in awe of the cult-like flavor in every mouthful.
The subtle, smoky pork flavor mixed with marbling that can only come from selecting just the right cuts will satisfy any hunger and feed an entire family. I prefer to choose cuts with a good top cap of fat, preferably meat that has been allowed to graze and get nice and plump.
Dark Horse Rib Ingredients
These ingredients might be tough to find, but are essential for success. Here’s a tip: for a little extra zing and a new flavor profile, visit your local Asian market! See the recipe card below for a list of complete ingredients and measurements! (And don’t forget to smash the like button for more recipes like this one in your inbox!)
- St. Louis Cut Ribs – Baby Back will also work, but can be difficult to get.
- Spice Rub – I prefer a classic Salt, Pepper, and Garlic rub but I have been known to use a little brown sugar to bring out the sweetness in the meat.
- Mustard – Used as a binding agent for the spice. Plain yellow is the ticket.
- Butter – Everything’s better with butter. (substitute marrow for a unique taste)
- Brown Sugar – must be dark brown, not white sugar because it will burn.
- Honey – Standard or Clover honey will both work.
- Coca-Cola – Because it’s a classic
- Shark Brand Sriracha – remember the Asian Market? Don’t be afraid to get cuts of meat here too!
- BBQ Sauce – I like a thick blood red coagulated sauce. Some like a thinner sauce. The key is to have it ready to go for step three.
How to make Dark Horse Ribs
Picking the right cuts, preparation, and patience are the keys to a successful campaign.
- Prepare the Ribs: Prep the ribs by trimming into a rectangle shape, this is a competition trim. Remove the flap from the back side and here is a pro-tip: use a butter knife and paper towel to remove the silver skin. Save the meaty trimmings for stir fry vittles!
- Season: Generously apply the yellow mustard and then liberally coat with your choice of dry rub. Remember, put the mustard on the skin or you’ll get hosed.
- Grill Step 1: Grill on the center of the rack at 225 for 3 hours spritzing every half hour with apple cider vinegar.
- Foil the Ribs: Prepare for the next step by laying out 2 sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil per rack of ribs. It is important to use 2 sheets in case one rips. On the inner sheet, put down a mix of brown sugar, honey, sriracha, and 4-5 pats of butter. Lay the rack of ribs meat down in the foil, then fold the sides up slightly. Pour in a small amount of Coca-Cola (just enough to add flavor and keep the ribs moist).
- Wrap The Foil: This step is important! Fold the two long edges together and over one another, and loosely crimp the edge but do not fully seal. It is important for some steam to escape. Fold the short ends in on themselves and seal well. This will ensure that your meat pulls right. off. the bone.
- Grill Step 2: Put in the grill at 225 for 2 hours.
- Grill Step 3: Remove the ribs from the foil and put the ribs, meat side up, back on the grill. Baste with your favorite sauce every 15 minutes for 1 hour. (tip, use silicone gloves for this last step! It gets hotter than the desert in July!)
Jacob Mephisto’s Dark Horse Ribs RECIPE!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ From 79 Votes
These ribs will make your whole family lick their lips. You’ll be licking the bones clean as you pick every bit of delicious meat from them.
|Cook Time||Total Time||Author||
|1 hour||6 hours||7 hours||Jacob Mephisto||5-6 per rack depending on the size of the carcass|
𝥁 1-2 racks of ribs
𝥁 ½ cup of rub per rack
𝥁 1 stick of butter
𝥁 1 TBSP. Sriracha per rack
𝥁 1 TBSP. Honey per rack
𝥁 1 TBSP. Brown Sugar per rack
𝥁 1 can Coca Cola
𝥁 1 bottle BBQ sauce of your choice
𝥁 10-14 large dashes of Hatred
They are ribs. Don’t worry about how you’re going to feel tomorrow while you’re eating today.
I am Jacob Mephisto, Shoot legend, PRIME Monster, Patriarch of The Family. I became interested in cooking assorted cuts of meats nobody else would use and made it quite a joyful hobby. Many days our whole family can be found in the desert chomping down on a plethora of meats, some of which aren’t even sold in markets! It’s best to not ask, just try it, you might like it!